Bientôt fans, merci !
Pourquoi pas vous ?
Facebook J'aime Paris 1
Accueil » International » Foreign students » Accommodation



The University has accommodation available for foreign students at the Cité internationale and in the public residences of CROUS, but they only have capacity for a small minority of you. Therefore here are a few paths to help you find your “home” in Paris : a presentation of the different types of accommodation and the formalities that must be completed when moving in.



The different types of accommodation

Formalities to deal with when moving in

     ► Signing a rental agreement or lease agreement

     ► Application for accommodation assistance from the CAF

     ► Taking out housing insurance



The Cité internationale universitaire de Paris (CIUP)

Created in 1925 in a 34 hectare park, the Cité Internationale is made up of 40 houses, each with the colours of one country. 12,000 students and researchers are accommodated there each year, in an intercultural spirit where 140 nationalities live side by side. The International Relations Office of Paris 1 has a few studio apartments available there, but there are very few and they are allocated in priority to students at Masters or Doctorate level who are enrolled in an international dual degree or in education reserved for foreign students.
Accommodation : furnished individual studio (bedroom of 11 to 18m2 with kitchen & bathroom)
Rent : from 400 to 550€/month (excluding assistance from CAF of up to 94€/month)
For more information : rilogement@univ-paris1.fr ; www.ciup.fr


The public university residences of CROUS of Paris

Responsible for allocating bursaries based on social criteria to students in Ile-de-France, CROUS (Regional Centre for University Student Social Services) of Paris also manages the 58 public university residences in the capital. The International Relations Office of the University has accommodation available in nine of these residences, but there is a very limited number and their allocation is subject to meeting very strict conditions.


If you are completing a Masters or Doctorate and are studying an international dual degree or education reserved for foreign students, you will have a greater chance of securing one of these types of accommodation. However, be aware : this allocation is far from automatic and therefore ensure that you consider other types of accommodation (see below).

Accommodation : bedroom, studio or furnished T2 for one or two people (10 to 46m2, kitchen and communal or private bathroom

Rent : from 330€ to 680€/month (note that CAF pays accommodation assistance)

For more information : rilogement@univ-paris1.frwww.crous-paris.fr/logements/nos-logements


Private student residences

The current CROUS residences can house only 13% of students; new residences are in the process of being built. Private residences are also being developed to meet the growing demand for university accommodation. With higher rates than in the public sector, they offer additional services such as sports halls and working rooms, regular housekeeping or even reductions in local shops.

Accommodation : in general, furnished individual studio
Rent : from 600€ to 700€/month (note that CAF pays accommodation assistance)
For more information : www.adele.org ; www.campusfrance.org ; www.etudiantdeparis.fr



Homes for students and young workers

Around one hundred homes accommodate young students and workers in Ile-de-France, most of whom are between 18 and 25 years old. With a half-board or full-board system, these homes are more often for females than mixed. They are run sometimes on a religious basis and sometimes on a secular basis.

Accommodation : single or double furnished bedroom (and more rarely : furnished studio)
Rent : variable, but often less than market rates (note that CAF pays accommodation assistance)
For more information : www.etudiantdeparis.fr; www.cidj.com; www.crous-paris.fr



“Classic” Parisian apartments, shared or solo

In addition to the accommodation above, reserved for students and young workers, you can move into a “classic” Parisian apartment. The most economic and pleasant solution is to share it with one or more housemate(s), the latter can be found on special websites (see the list of websites on the links “for more information” below) or dedicated events (“coffee-house share” in September on the forecourt of the Town Hall of Paris during the “It’s the start of term!” event or also “house share Thursdays” which take place each month in Parisian bars).

If the housemates that you have found do not yet have a place or if you wish to live alone, you will have to sift through the accommodation offers advertised by individuals or estate agents (the latter charge fees once the keys are handed over). You will then have to make a number of visits over a few days or even a few weeks, which would mean having to initially make arrangements for temporary accommodation (youth hostel, aparthotel…).
Rent : from 500 to 800€/month for a « studette » (single bedroom of 9 to 17m2 with communal washrooms on the landing), from 650 to 900€/month for a studio (single bedroom of 18 to 35m2 with kitchen and private bathroom), often cheaper for a shared apartment (note that CAF pays accommodation assistance)

For more information : www.etudiantdeparis.fr ; www.campusfrance.org (liste de sites web proposant des offres de locations et colocations, guide pour la recherche d'appartement, liste d'hébergements);  www.cidj.com (pages "Trouver une coloc" & "Trouver une location").



Signing a rental agreement or lease agreement

Before handing over the keys, the owner (or the manager) and you must sign a rental agreement (also called lease) which lists in particular the amount of rent, the size of the accommodation and the length of validity of the agreement (the latter is generally for one year for furnished and three years for non-furnished, but it is possible to terminate before the end by complying with a notice period of one to three months). If several of you move in, the contract may provide for a joint liability clause obliging you to pay the rent for your housemates if they do not do so.

In general, you will have to pay a guarantee or deposit that the owner will return to you when you leave if there is no damage (that will be verified by way of a comparison with the declaration of the state of the premises which takes place when you arrive then when you leave the accommodation).

Finally, you may be asked to have the agreement signed by a guarantor who commits to pay your rent in the event of you failing to do so. If you have difficulties paying a deposit or finding a guarantor, several services can assist you : the Student Rental Deposit, the Loca-Pass or even a bank deposit.
For more information : www.campusfrance.org (deposit, lease) ; www.etudiantdeparis.fr (deposit, lease, declaration of the state of the premises, joint liability clause)


Application for accommodation assistance from the CAF

As with French students, foreign students can receive assistance from the CAF (Family Allowance Fund) to pay their rent : ALS (Accommodation Allowance of a Social nature) or APL (Individual Housing Assistance). The amount of this assistance depends on criteria such as the location of the accommodation, the amount of rent and your resources. To apply for this, you must print a file that has first been filled in online then send it to the CAF by post with several supporting documents. Amongst these documents, there is a declaration to be filled in by the owner or manager of your accommodation when you move in. If it provided for that the assistance is to be paid to you personally rather than to the owner or manager, you must also provide a RIB (Bank Statement) issued by a French bank (see here the arrangements for opening a bank account in France).

For more information : www.caf.fr


Taking out housing insurance

Before handing you the keys, the owner or manager will generally ask you for a certificate of multirisk house insurance. That proves that you are covered in the event of an incident in the accommodation, whether it is a burglary, water damage or a fire.


Certain contracts sometimes include civil liability insurance, which is requested from you by the University at the time of your administrative registration (that protects you in the event of personal injury or material damage accidentally caused to others). In order to take out housing insurance, you can contact a student mutual, certain banks or private insurance companies.


For more informationwww.etudiantdeparis.fr



Photos: immeuble parisien (© Rafael Garcia-Suarezlicence CC-BY-SAphoto originale redimensionnée) ; Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (© Igor Stefanphoto originale redimensionnée); logo (© CROUS de Paris) ; logo (© ADELE); étudiantes (©  Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne) ; scène d'intérieure de cuisine, tableau de Marten van Cleve ((© _AFRwbDNCUQGjw at Google Cultural Institute, licence CC0photo originale redimensionnée); trousseau de clés (© TheEgyptian, licence CC-BY-SAphoto originale redimensionnée) ; illustration de l'aide au logement étudiants (© CAF) ; cambrioleur (© Ente75licence CC0photo originale redimensionnée)